The Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation has selected 12 schools to receive its first School Garden Grants. The funding will assist the recipients with establishing school gardens and incorporating healthy living activities and lessons in their curriculum.
The Foundation began sowing the seeds for healthier communities in 2011 when Will Allen, founder and CEO of Growing Power, shared his passion for urban agriculture during the Foundation’s Annual Fundraising Dinner and Silent Auction. He encouraged attendees to get “down to earth” through their own gardens or by supporting local farms to improve health.
The School Garden Grant program is an extension of this focus, which also includes a partnership with the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) and the WEA Trust. The Foundation awarded almost $14,000 in grants to the following schools and districts:
School Name and Location
- Akira Toki Middle School, Madison
- Arena Elementary, Arena
- Flambeau School District, Tony
- Lincoln Elementary School, Madison
- Olson Elementary School, Madison
- Pershing Elementary School, West Milwaukee
- Reedsville School District, Reedsville
- Rib Lake Elementary School, Rib Lake
- School District of Phelps, Phelps
- Southern Door County School District, Brussels
- Weston Elementary School , Cazenovia
- Wilson Elementary School, West Allis
The Foundation thanks WPS Health Insurance, the WEA Trust, DPI, Dean Health, Group Health Cooperative, the American Medical Association Foundation and individual donors for helping make these grants possible.
Back to Community Grants