George M. Lange, MD, FACP, of River Hills, was inaugurated 161st president of the Wisconsin Medical Society during the Society’s Annual Meeting April 8 in Madison. He succeeded Thomas Luetzow, MD, of Watertown.
In addition to deliberations at the House of Delegates, other activities at the Annual Meeting included:
- An educational program titled Employers and Physicians: Putting Shared Knowledge and Information into Action, presented by Society Vice President Tim Bartholow, MD, and Cheryl DeMars, president and CEO of The Alliance, Madison.
- A presentation by and discussion with Mike Bernhagen and Terry Kaldhusdal, producers of the documentary film Consider the Conversation.
- Public service announcement recordings by Society members on 20 topics such as bicycle helmets, hunter safety, second-hand smoke, water safety and stress management.
Several physicians were elected to Society leadership positions, including Tosha B. Wetterneck, MD, MS, FACP, of Madison who was elected president-elect. Doctor Wetterneck is a general internist and hospitalist at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, and an associate professor at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health.
Charles J. Rainey, MD, JD, was re-elected to a two-year term as Speaker of the House and Kevin A. Jessen, MD, was re-elected to a one-year term as Board Chair. Other physicians elected were:
- John W. Hartman, MD: Board Treasurer (re-elected to a one-year term)
- Molli Rolli, MD: Vice Chair (re-elected to a one-year term) and District 2 Board Director (re-elected to a second three-year term)
- Andrew Beykovsky, MD; Raymond Knight, MD; and Thomas Derrig, MD: District 1 Board Director (all elected to a three-year term)
- Mary Jo Freeman, MD, FACP: District 4 Board Director (re-elected to a third three-year term)
- Valerie Zapolsky, MD: District 5 Board Director (elected to a three-year term)
- Arne Lagus, MD: District 7 Board Director (re-elected to a third three-year term)
- David Saarinen, MD: District 8 Board Director (re-elected to a third three-year term)
- Philip Redlich, MD: Medical School Section Board Director (re-elected to a one-year term)
- Jake Behrens, MD: Resident/Fellow Section Board Director (elected to a one-year term)
- Senthil Rathinavelu and Adam Hofer: Medical Student Section Board Directors (elected to a one-year term)
Several awards also were presented Friday, April 8 during the Inauguration Ceremony, including the Presidential Citation to Cyril (Kim) M. Hetsko, MD, and Physician Citizen of the Year Awards to Donn Dexter, MD, and Paul Loomis, MD, of Eau Claire; Jon Englund, MD, of Waukesha; and Douglas Dulli, MD; Catherine Ranheim, MD; and Erik Ranheim, MD, of Madison.
In addition, the Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation presented Houghton Awards to Nicholas Kuehnel of the Medical College of Wisconsin and Ben Durkee, PhD, of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health; the Viste Award to Dipesh Navsaria, MD, MPH, MSLIS, of the UW School of Medicine and Public Health; and the Presidential Scholar Award to Joseph Hippensteel of the UW School of Medicine and Public Health.
To learn more about the 2011 Annual Meeting, click here.
About the HOD.