Tosha B. Wetterneck, MD, MS, FACP, of Madison was inaugurated as the 161st President of the Wisconsin Medical Society during the Society’s Annual Meeting April 20 and 21 in Madison. She succeeds George M. Lange, MD, FACP, of River Hills. Read more here.
In addition to the inaugural ceremony Friday night, the two-day meeting featured deliberations and actions on numerous resolutions and policy updates by the House of Delegates (HOD). Other activities included
- Remarks to the House of Delegates and a legislative presentation by Society CEO Rick Abrams, JD. The legislative presentation was sponsored by the Society’s Young Physicians Section.
- An educational program titled “Organizing Doctors for Delivery System Results and Reform—The SMARTCare Journey” presented by Thomas Lewandowski, MD, of Appleton and Anthony DeFranco, MD, of Milwaukee.
- Public service announcement recordings by Society members on a variety of topics, including sunscreen, secondhand smoke, child safety seats, adult vaccines, food borne illness, hunter safety and second-hand smoke.
In addition to Dr Wetterneck’s inauguration Society president, several other physicians were elected to Society leadership positions. Timothy G. McAvoy, MD, of Elm Grove was elected president-elect and will succeed Dr. Wetterneck in April 2013. Doctor McAvoy is an internal medicine physician in private practice in Waukesha. Read more here.
Molli Rolli, MD, of Madison was elected to a one-year term as Board Chair, and Barbara Hummel, MD, of West Allis was elected to a one-year term as Vice Chair. Doctor Rolli succeeds Kevin Jessen, MD, who served as Chair the past two years and completed his third and final term on the Board. Other physicians elected are:
- Michael Miller, MD, FASAM, FAPA: Vice Speaker of the House of Delegates (re-elected to a two-year term)
- John W. Hartman, MD: Society Treasurer (re-elected to a one-year term)
- Michael W. Lischak, MD, and George L. Morris, MD: District 1 Board Director (three-year terms)
- Jay A. Gold, MD, JD; Jerry Halverson, MD; Wendy Molaska, MD; David C. Murdy, MD, MBA: District 2 Board Director (three-year term)
- Jean C. Montgomery, MD: District 4 Board Director (three-year term)
- Gerald Clark, MD: District 5 Board Director (three-year term)
- Bruce M. Neal, MD, FACS: District 6 Board Director (three-year term)
- Philip Redlich, MD: Medical School Section Board Director (re-elected to a one-year term)
- Senthil Rathinavelu and Lynn Stiff: Medical Student Section Board Directors (elected to a one-year term)
- Clarence P. Chou, MD, and Paul A. Wertsch, MD: American Medical Association Delegate (two-year terms)
Several awards also were presented Friday, April 20 during the Inauguration Ceremony, including the Presidential Citation to Thomas J. Lewandowski, MD, and Anthony C. De Franco, MD, and Physician Citizen of the Year Awards to A. John Capelli, MD; Haakon Carlson, MD; William Jarvis, MD; Kris Lahren, MD; Mark Mirick, MD; Bruce Rhoades, MD; Robert Rohloff, MD; and Blaise Vilate, MD.
In addition, the Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation presented the Kenneth M. Viste, Jr., MD, Young Physician Leadership Award to Claudia Reardon, MD; and the Presidential Scholar Award to Senthil Rathinavelu of the Medical College of Wisconsin. The Foundation also announced the 2012 recipients of the Houghton Award: Joseph Hippensteel of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and Erin Preloger of the Medical College of Wisconsin.
To learn more about the 2012 Annual Meeting, click here.
About the HOD.