Advocacy for You and Your Patients
The Wisconsin Medical Society is the only organization that represents all physicians in Wisconsin regardless of specialty or practice size. We present a strong, unified physician voice at the Capitol, in the courtroom and beyond to safeguard the patient-physician relationship; to ensure that patients have access to high quality, cost efficient care; and to preserve Wisconsin as one of the best states for physicians to practice medicine.
- At the Capitol—The Society follows hundreds of legislative bills each session, making sure physicians are well represented at both the state and federal levels. Click here for a comprehensive wrap-up of the 2017-2018 legislative biennium.
- In the Courtroom—The Society also advocates for physicians by filing amicus briefs in cases that have the potential to broadly impact Wisconsin physicians and patients from a legal and/or public policy perspective. Most recently, these efforts filing three separate amicus briefs in Mayo v. the Injured Patients and Families Compensation Fund—a case challenging the constitutionality of Wisconsin’s cap on noneconomic damages in medical liability cases. Our efforts paid off when the Wisconsin Supreme Court restored the cap in June 2018.
- And Beyond—The Society works to elevate the physician perspective in key discussions with numerous organizations and government agencies/entities, including the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, the Medical Examining Board, the Wisconsin Worker’s Compensation Advisory Council, the Injured Patients and Families Compensation Fund Board, the Wisconsin Health Information Organization (WHIO), the Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality (WCHQ) and many more.
Physician Resiliency and Well-being
Physician burnout has increased at an alarming rate, according to data from myriad sources, including two surveys conducted by the Society in 2014 and 2017. To help address the problem, in 2019 we will offer a series of educational programs, mentorship opportunities and resources as well working to create a statewide physician wellness program.
Medical Education and Professional Development
From traditional CME and MOC credit available through webinars and in-person events, to our Innovative Leadership and performance improvement initiatives, the Society offers a number of learner-centered opportunities for professional development. Make sure to mark your calendar for April 5-6, 2019 when we will partner with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and the Medical College of Wisconsin to host “Treating Asthma to Zika: A Physicians’ Guide to Summer,” a two-day conference being held at Monona Terrace Convention Center in Madison.
Member-only Discounts on Products and Services
Society members are able to benefit from WisMed Perks, our new affinity program. Products and Services include:
- Discounted rates for travel protection through MedJetAssist
- Up to 80 percent off office supplies through Office Depot/Office Max
- Up to 50 percent off FedEx Shipping
- Discounts and savings on 200,000+ hotels worldwide
- Low rate and other benefits for Avis/Budget Rental Car
- Exclusive discounts and perks on entertainment tickets – movie, concerts, sporting events, and more.
- Cash back at 1,200+ retail stores when you shop online
Risk Management Services and Education
The Society provides a number of resources to members including
- A Physician’s Guide to Health Law: A Collection of Frequently Asked Questions—From employment contracts to medical records release, to HIPAA compliance and more, this online resource provides members-only access to information on a variety of key legal issues affecting health care. (Member login required.)
- Major case summaries and other health law information—Our staff legal experts prepare educational programs, articles and summaries of key court decisions and other legal and legislative issues that will affect physician practices, in addition to providing an attorney resource list for members seeking the services of a private attorney. (Member login required.)
Member Insurance Plan Discounts and Enhancements
The Society’s insurance agency is dedicated to the unique needs of Wisconsin physicians, clinics and hospitals. Offering a full line of insurance products, WisMed Assure provides solutions to minimize insurance exposures and specialized products designed for our members.
Exclusive plans include medical professional liability discounts and policy enhancements, disability plans designed for health professionals, and discounted dental insurance.
In addition, the Society is now offering an Association Health Plan for organizations seeking unique and affordable group health insurance plans for clinics, practices or offices.
Call 866.442.3810 for more information or click here.
Health Care Updates and Information
We keep members informed about key health care issues and legislative topics through our website, social media and various publications:
- WMJ—Published six times a year, WMJ is our peer-reviewed, indexed scientific journal. An important resource for staying abreast of medical trends in the Midwest, it’s also an excellent venue for physicians and other health care professionals seeking to publish their work.
- Medigram, our weekly electronic newsletter, features timely news and information on key health care issues and practice management topics including government regulations and legislative updates, legal issues and more.
Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation
In addition to providing scholarships, student loans, grants and summer fellowships, the Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation brings together medical professionals, students, public health organizations and others to improve community health and address emerging issues like the physician workforce shortage by supporting medical and health education.
Back to Membership