Based on the recommendations by the Council on Health Care Ethics and Council on Health Care Access, the Wisconsin Medical Society Board of Directors on October 20, 2012 approved a report with recommendations for ensuring a sufficient workforce in Wisconsin and a resolution promoting the establishment of a physician health program.
The Society’s physician workforce report includes 15 recommendations that offer guidance for a comprehensive, multifaceted approach to ensuring a sufficient physician workforce. Recommendations include:
- Work with stakeholders to reduce the burden of financial debt on medical students
- Support medical programs that place students in urban, rural and other underserved areas
- Support expansion of medical student training capacity
- Support the concept of team-based care
- Maintain and expand the role of the Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation in supporting physician workforce development issues
- Act as a catalyst to connect medical students, residencies and employers
Click here to download the report.