ALC-012: Improving Prevention and Treatment of Excessive Alcohol Consumption
Improving Prevention and Treatment of Excessive Alcohol Consumption: The Wisconsin Medical Society will advocate for programs aimed at reducing binge drinking, including, but not limited to:
- Strengthening dram shop liability laws.
- Prohibiting drinking establishments from offering inducements (such as “happy hour” or “two for one”) that promote excessive alcoholic beverage consumption.
- Counseling and rehabilitation services for all Wisconsin residents, when indicated, including providing insurance coverage (public and private) for these services.
- Counseling, rehabilitation and education services at post-secondary educational institutions in Wisconsin, when indicated.
- Education for bartenders on recognizing excessive alcohol consumption in patrons and proper methods for refusing service.
- Public outreach to communities on the risks of binge drinking and evidence-based strategies to avoid harm. (HOD, 0412)