DIS-007: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Elder Health
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Elder Health: The Wisconsin Medical Society recommends:
- That health care providers working with geriatric populations (e.g., aging services, residential care facilities, and home care agencies) should receive training regarding the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) seniors, including:
- their concerns of being ostracized and abused by care providers and community members.
- health risks, health disparities, and prevalent diseases of LGBT seniors.
- how the lack of legal protections and access to social programs granted to heterosexuals causes hardship for LGBT seniors.
- That Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) and Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs) consistently and explicitly inquire whether clients desire counseling about the services that are available or pertinent for LGBT seniors and, whenever applicable, counsel clients about accessing these resources. (HOD, 0412)