INS-006: Mandated Insurance Benefits
Mandated Insurance Benefits: The Wisconsin Medical Society opposes generalized expansion of mandated benefits. The Society does support individual evaluation of mandated benefits based on pertinent criteria, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Is the benefit a medically accepted method of practice?
- Is the benefit a service that most consumers would assume should be covered by an insurance policy?
- Is the benefit cost effective over the long term?
- Is the benefit cost effective for society (e.g. immunization)?
- Is the benefit beneficial to the insured over the long term?
- Can the benefit better be offered as an option? (HOD, 0414)