PUB-026: Recommendations for Government Health Departments
Recommendations for Government Health Departments: The Wisconsin Medical Society
- Encourages Wisconsin to create a separate and distinct Department of Health that will emphasize public and environmental health programs and services.
- Supports this concept through appropriate administrative rules and the passage of legislation.
- Will cooperate with other public health organizations in Wisconsin to secure this structure.
- Believes that the head of the Department of Health shall be a graduate of an accredited school of public health or medical school graduate program in community health and preventive medicine preferably with a doctorate in public health, or a PhD or an MD with a masters in public health and public sector administrative experience, including knowledge of local public health administration.
- Encourages county public health agencies, if possible, to appoint a public health-trained physician as the public health officer.
- Supports prohibiting the inclusion of local public health departments into human service agencies. (HOD, 0409)*
*Currently under five-year policy review.