TEC-002: Health Information Technology
Health Information Technology: The Wisconsin Medical Society supports the adoption of meaningful use health information technology that will provide information where it is needed, when it is needed, to support care, and encourages physicians to work toward the following goals, at a pace appropriate to their practices:
- The adoption and implementation of electronic health records (EHRs).
- The adoption of e-prescribing, ideally integrated with the EHR.
- The adoption of systems providing clinical decision support.
- The choice of systems that comply with emerging national standards.
- The choice of systems from vendors that have achieved appropriate certification.
- The collection and use of clinical data for quality improvement.
- The reporting of data on clinical quality measures to public warehouses.
- The development of systems that allow the electronic sharing of information between different EHRs.
The Society also supports the reduction of administrative burdens on physicians as they relate to meaningful use regulations and payment incentives. (HOD, 0417)