Honoring Choices Wisconsin is a major initiative to build system change, advocacy and education around advance care planning. Through Honoring Choices Wisconsin, the Society serves as convener, coordinator and catalyst to build clinical improvements combined with outreach in communities across the state.
Participating organizations are offering facilitated advance care planning conversations to patients under the guidance of the Respecting Choices® First Steps® program, a pioneering approach developed in La Crosse, Wisconsin. These systems have agreed to embrace a common emphasis on improving the conversation across health systems; use patient-tested forms and informational materials; share lessons learned formally and informally; and support community outreach.
Honoring Choices Wisconsin is now planning a grassroots effort to reach Wisconsinites through media, multicultural organizations, senior centers, support networks and other avenues.
Our mission: to promote the benefits of and improve processes for advance care planning across the state, in health care settings and in the community.
Round 1 Participating Organizations:
- Community Care, Inc., Milwaukee
- Fort HealthCare, Fort Atkinson in collaboration with Rainbow Hospice Care, Jefferson and the ADRC of Jefferson County
- Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin, Madison
- Meriter Health Services, Madison
- ProHealth Care, Waukesha
- UW Health, Madison
- William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital, Madison
Round 2 Participating Organizations:
- ADORAY Home Health & Hospice, Baldwin
- Agrace Hospice and Palliative Care, Madison
- Aspirus, Wausau
- Baldwin Area Medical Center, Baldwin
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Journal Communications, Inc., Milwaukee
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Eau Claire
- St. Croix Regional Medical Center, St. Croix Falls
- ThedaCare, Appleton
- Watertown Regional Medical Center, Watertown
Thanks to our supporting organizations:
- Center for Patient Partnerships
- Consider the Conversation Co-Producers Mike Bernhagen and Terry Kaldhusdal.
- Fox Valley End of Life Care Coalition
- Greater Milwaukee Business Foundation on Health
- Meriter Foundation
- Milwaukee End of Life Care Coalition
- Physicians Plus
- Respecting Choices
- United HealthCare
- Unity Health Insurance
- Wisconsin Cancer Control Program
- Wisconsin Center for Assisted Living
- Wisconsin Health Care Association
- Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging
- Wisconsin Nurses Association
- WPS Health Insurance
The name “Honoring Choices Wisconsin” is used under license from East Metro Medical Society Foundation.
RESPECTING CHOICES® is a registered mark used under license from Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation, Inc.