Society staff members John Maycroft and Chris Rasch have created a brief online webinar, to assist Society members with writing resolutions for consideration during the Wisconsin Medical Society’s 2013 Annual Meeting in Madison April 13-14. The deadline to submit resolutions, which help shape Society policy on important medical issues, is February 1.
The House of Delegates will not consider late resolutions unless two-thirds of the delegates consent to the introduction of the late resolutions or one of the Society’s constitutional officers or the Board of Directors submits the late resolutions. The Board of Directors will provide to the House of Delegates its recommendations regarding the acceptance of any late resolutions at the opening session on April 13.
The Society will add a fiscal note to each resolution if the implementation requires an expenditure of funds not normally included in the Society’s budget. Members who submit resolutions should ensure that a sponsor will attend the reference committee hearings to provide background information.
To submit resolutions for the 2013 House of Delegates, send them to Rick Abrams, CEO, Wisconsin Medical Society, PO Box 1109, Madison, WI 53701 or via e-mail to Noreen Krueger.
Please follow these guidelines when drafting resolutions.
- Select a title for the resolution that appropriately reflects the action the resolution seeks.
- Carefully check the resolution for accuracy.
- The resolves should stand alone, because the House adopts only the resolves. The sections that begin with “Whereas” do not appear in the official record of the proceedings.
- The Society strongly encourages, but does not require, that all resolutions contain a statement by the author about relevant existing Society policy or a statement that the Society does not have any current policy on the topic.
- Resolutions that request the House of Delegates to forward the resolutions to the AMA for its consideration should contain a statement by the author about relevant existing AMA policy or a statement that the AMA does not have any current policy on the topic.
For more information about submitting resolutions for the 2013 House of Delegates, call 608.442.3904 or 886.442.3800, ext. 3904 (toll-free).
Back to January 24, 2013 Medigram