Although the Wisconsin Medical Society’s House of Delegates (HOD) will convene as part of the Society’s Annual Meeting Saturday, April 22, 2017 at the Glacier Canyon Convention Center in Wisconsin Dells, resolutions for consideration by the HOD must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. Feb 1.
When drafting resolutions, Society members should follow these guidelines:
- Select a title that appropriately reflects the action the resolution seeks.
- Carefully check the resolution for accuracy.
- The wording of the “Resolved” statement should be able to stand alone as an item to be acted upon by the HOD, because the HOD adopts only the “Resolved” language. The wording in the sections of the resolution that begin with “Whereas” does not appear in the official record of the proceedings of the HOD and will not appear in the Society’s Policy Compendium if the item is adopted by the HOD.
- All resolutions should contain a statement by the author about relevant existing policy or a statement that the Society does not have any current policy on the topic.
- Resolutions that request the Society’s HOD to forward the policy item to the American Medical Association (AMA) House of Delegates for its consideration should contain a statement by the author about relevant existing AMA policy or a statement that the AMA does not have any current policy on the topic.
If the implementation of an adopted item would require the expenditure of funds not normally included in the Society’s budget, the Society will add a fiscal note to it. Those who submit resolutions should ensure that a sponsor will attend the reference committee hearings to introduce the resolution and testify, providing background information and the rationale for the “Resolved” statements.
According to Society Bylaws, all members may submit resolutions in proper form to the CEO’s office on or before Feb. 1, or 60 days prior to the first session of the HOD, whichever date is earlier. Any resolution received after the deadline will be considered a “late resolution,” unless it is presented by the Board of Directors, the Speaker, Vice Speaker, constitutional officer or by a council or committee of the Society or the HOD. All “late resolutions” will be forwarded to the Rules Committee for review. The Rules Committee will make recommendations to the HOD regarding the acceptance of any “late resolutions” at the April 22 opening session. Click here* for information about the late resolution process, including the information that must accompany a late resolution. The HOD is unable to accept late resolutions unless two-thirds of the Delegates present consent to the acceptance of the item.
Resolutions for the 2017 House of Delegates should be submitted to Interim CEO Bob Foulks at PO Box 1109, Madison, WI 53701 or via e-mail to Noreen Krueger.
The House of Delegates is only one avenue for raising issues or submitting resolutions. Members may submit issues or resolutions throughout the year via the Society’s year-round resolution process by using the online Member Communication Form. Members who have time-sensitive issues can opt to use the year-round submission process for prompt disposition rather than waiting for the next Annual Meeting. Issues submitted via the year-round process are referred to the Board for further study and recommendations.
Members who need help developing a resolution may contact Society staff for assistance or click here for a brief primer on resolution writing.
For more information about submitting resolutions for the 2017 HOD, e-mail Noreen Krueger. or call her at 608.442.3904 or 886.442.3800, ext. 3904 (toll-free).
Back to January 5, 2017 Medigram