Stay compliant in 2015 and beyond! Our robust array of subject matter experts and trusted local attorneys will present the information you need during two educational panel discussions and a lunch-hour legislative update.
Practice managers, health information management staff, compliance personnel, physicians and other health care professionals should attend this day-long seminar. Click here to register or for more details.
Morning panel discussion: Privacy & Protected Health Information
- Overview and definition of protected health information (PHI) and treatment, payment and healthcare operations (TPO).
- Considerations and precautions for the release and re-release of information.
- Authorization to release PHI to patients, caregivers, Power of Attorney for Health Care (POAHC), minors, payers, step-parents, guardians, attorneys and business associates.
- Special considerations regarding mental health records.
- Disclosure of release of information requirements and documentation.
Lunch & Learn: Wisconsin Legislative Update
The Society’s government and legal affairs team will share the latest news from Madison and Washington, D.C., regarding the government’s involvement with health care, including updates on the Affordable Care Act, the state’s biennial budget, the Wisconsin Medical Examining Board and other legislative issues that affect physicians, clinics, health systems and patients.
Afternoon panel discussion: HIPAA & Technology
- Overall importance of risk analysis and technical safeguards.
- Impact and penalties of unauthorized PHI disclosure and obligations should a breach occur, including penalties and self-disclosure protocols.
- Providing electronic copies of medical records and fees associated with providing paper and/or electronic copies of records.
- Evolving risk of technology breach, including improper use of PHI with texting, e-mail, remote access, social media and other device misuse.
- HIPAA considerations for use of social media and other devices for telemedicine/telehealth visits.
Dates and Locations
May 12: Green Bay (Tundra Lodge Resort)
May 13: West Allis (Summit Place Offices)
May 14: Wisconsin Dells (Chula Vista Resort)
CEU and CLE Approval
This program has the prior approval of AAPC for 8.0 continuing education units (CEUs). Granting of prior approval in no way constitutes endorsement by AAPC of the program content or the program sponsor.
This program has been approved for 8.0 continuing education units (CEUs) for use in fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Granting prior approval from AHIMA does not constitute endorsement of the program content or its program sponsor.
The Wisconsin Board of Bar Examiners has approved this activity for 8.0 continuing legal education (CLE) credits.
Thank you to our presenting sponsors:
Back to Seminars