Medical Records & the Law: 2015
Stay compliant in 2015 and beyond! Our robust array of subject matter experts and trusted local attorneys will present the information you need during two educational panel discussions and a lunch-hour legislative update. Practice managers, health information management staff, compliance personnel, physicians and other health care professionals should attend this day-long seminar. Click here for a program brochure.
Morning panel discussion: Privacy & Protected Health Information
- Overview and definition of protected health information (PHI) and treatment, payment and healthcare operations (TPO).
- Considerations and precautions for the release and re-release of information.
- Authorization to release PHI to patients, caregivers, Power of Attorney for Health Care (POAHC), minors, payers, step-parents, guardians, attorneys and business associates.
- Special considerations regarding mental health records.
- Disclosure of release of information requirements and documentation.
Lunch & Learn: Wisconsin Legislative Update
The Society’s government and legal affairs team will share the latest news from Madison and Washington, D.C., regarding the government’s involvement with health care, including updates on the Affordable Care Act, the state’s biennial budget, the Wisconsin Medical Examining Board and other legislative issues that affect physicians, clinics, health systems and patients.
Afternoon panel discussion: HIPAA & Technology
- Overall importance of risk analysis and technical safeguards.
- Impact and penalties of unauthorized PHI disclosure and obligations should a breach occur, including penalties and self-disclosure protocols.
- Providing electronic copies of medical records and fees associated with providing paper and/or electronic copies of records.
- Evolving risk of technology breach, including improper use of PHI with texting, e-mail, remote access, social media and other device misuse.
- HIPAA considerations for use of social media and other devices for telemedicine/telehealth visits.
Dates and Locations
May 12: Green Bay (Tundra Lodge Resort)
May 13: West Allis (Summit Place Offices)
May 14: Wisconsin Dells (Chula Vista Resort)
Watch for registration details and more information coming soon on this page and in Practice Vitals, our biweekly education e-newsletter.
Back to Seminars