The Wisconsin Medical Society, utilizing data compiled by the Wisconsin Health Information Organization (WHIO), has created the “Did You Know” series to keep you informed of health care cost and quality in Wisconsin. “Did You Know” is designed to broaden your understanding of some of the differences in health care depending on region, demographics, procedures, treatments and conditions.
- Featured topics:
- Congestive Heart Failure click here
- Diabetes (see below)
Did you know?
- The most recent WHIO database shows the annualized billed charges for a Wisconsin resident with diabetes between the ages of 45 and 64 was $34,117?
- Pharmacy consumed over 21 percent of the $34,117.
- More than 3.5 times more is spent on injectable medications than oral medications in the treatment of diabetes.
- Billed charges are nearly $19 million annually for blood glucose strips in this segment of the Wisconsin population.
- Billed charges can vary as much as 30 percent depending on where the patient resides in Wisconsin.